Re: Pc v. Mac

Subject: Re: Pc v. Mac
From: Bill Fetzner <BFetzner -at- ETCCONNECT -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 09:35:45 -0500

Yes, and to add to that we send our documents to language translating
vendors, who have been asking for pc versions of the stuff I produce on the
Mac. All these are important factors, and it seems that the best resolution
of this, platform chauvinism aside, is to look at my local environment. In
my case, that means looking at the IS support for Macs (poor at my company),
compatibility with other elements of the company (R&D is exclusively pc),
vendors (while translators favor pc, our Docutech vendor thinks Mac). One of
the best criteria I've seen from both public and private commentators is the
time it might take to convert older documents from Mac to pc.

Does anyone have any experience or firm figures on performing such
conversion for Frame, Page and Word documents? Some have suggested that
there is no reason to worry about compatibility between platforms for these
applications today, but what about older versions? How old?

Bill Fetzner
Technical Writer
Electronic Theatre Controls ("We light up your life")

> Because we're a consulting and contracting firm, I'm sensitive to yet
> another issue: compatibility with the world at large. We used to keep a
> Mac
> warm in the corner, until it occurred to us that clients hadn't asked for
> Mac in quite some time. If you need to outsource, can you depend on your
> contractor of choice being on a Mac? Chances are that they won't be, just
> statistically. How about compatibility with a printing company? With a
> translation firm? What will be your font issues if you have to outsource?
> Graphics issues?
>
> Tim Altom
> Simply Written, Inc.
> Featuring FrameMaker and the Clustar Method(TM)
> "Better communication is a service to mankind."
> 317.562.9298
> http://www.simplywritten.com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=