Re: Editor on Board (TECHWR-L Digest - 4 Jul 1999 to 5 Jul 1999 ( #1999-80))

Subject: Re: Editor on Board (TECHWR-L Digest - 4 Jul 1999 to 5 Jul 1999 ( #1999-80))
From: Donald Le Vie <dlevie -at- VLINE -dot- NET>
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 1999 08:12:22 -0500

Parenthetical material usually clarifies information that precedes it
without altering its meaning. While parenthetical material may not be
critical to the sentence structure, it can certainly interject interesting
information to readers...are you questioning the use of the parenthesis
themselves or the use of parenthetical material?

...in the same vein...why even use quotation marks around dialogue? Some
novelists don't use them. Are they trying to be "novel" or just stroking
their own egos? Try reading a novel (not a short story) that's full of
dialogue but doesn't use quotation marks and see how far you get before
you're selling that book in a garage sale...

IMHO, I think we have bigger fish to fry...

Donn Le Vie
Integrated Concepts

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=