Re: GUI issues

Subject: Re: GUI issues
From: Pierre Roberge <proberge -at- FAMICTECH -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 1999 12:11:18 -0400

Mike said:

> Um... you *may* want to make that your mantra, but you'll soon lose the
> cooperation and respect of the very programmers you need to make the
> changes you want.
>
> The best UI designers I've worked with have been programmers. I feel that
> I as a tech. writer have a great deal to offer the programmers to improve
> the UI, but any claims that I and I alone represent the users would
> deafen the programmers to any suggestions I had to make.

My reply:

What Alan is saying is that programmers think obviously more about the
technology and doing so they organize the interface so that it fits the way
the software is built instead of organizing the interface so that it fits
the way the users work.

Having a techwriter suggest another word here and there has a positive
impact on the overall quality of an interface but a way bigger impact could
be had if the interface were the responsibility of a non technical person.

Working with programmers to design an interface is like working with inmates
to design an asylum. They have their own not so hidden agenda.

See "The inmates are running the asylum" by Alan Cooper.

Pierre Roberge
Famic Technologies 2000

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=