Keeping track of Frame Style tags, kinda long

Subject: Keeping track of Frame Style tags, kinda long
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- YAHOO -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 1999 10:08:09 -0700

<Cross posted to techwr-l and framers lists>

Maybe because I'm in the middle of cleaning up my own
mess, I wondering what methods you've come up with to
keep the <P> and <C> Frame tags consistent in
multi-file books.

This is probably most appropriate for those that have
created/modified a set of tags specific to their
project rather than having inherited a defined set.

Here's where I run into a problem:

I have a book, currently running 10 chapters/450
pages, that I've created from scratch. The client
previously used Word and I needed to create a Frame
layout similar to the look and feel of the previous
Word docs...no big problem.

However, because this project is MUCH more complex
than anything they'd created before, additional tag
styles needed to be created and many formats
previously created in Word were applied through
liberal use of the Bold, Italic, Underline buttons,
tabs, spaces, returns (yes, spaces and returns to
align content <sigh>) and manualy applied font
styles/sizes as needed, rather than defining styles.

However, maybe due to my lack of control and
restraint, I will find myself creating a new tag when
addressing a type of content that hadn't been
addressed before, or when I just think that something
looks better "refined". (I'm sorry, I cannot help
myself.)

My solution.

What I've been doing is I've created a Master Tag file
and this is always open, regardless of the book file
I'm working in. When I create or refine a tag in a
file, I copy that tag to the Master Tag file using
Edit->Copy Special->paragraph format (or) character
format. Then periodically, I will import the <P> and
<C> tags into all files in the book.

BTW...this Master Tag file will become part of the
delivered style guide once the project is finished,
where I will list every tag by name and apply the tag
for that entry. (create a mif, grep the lines with the
tag names, paste it into the document)

I was wondering how you deal with this, or am I the
only writer with poor restraint who never changes a
tag once the style guide has been created in the
beginning of the project?
===
John Posada
Western Union International