Re: Desperately seeking employment...

Subject: Re: Desperately seeking employment...
From: Marilynne Smith <marilyns -at- QUALCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 17:13:39 -0700

Sorry Andrew, I would not recommend her taking this advice. To start your
career lying about what you have done, just isn't good. She'll find a job
without it and she can hold her head up.

Marilynne

At 04:38 PM 7/13/99 , Andrew Plato wrote:
>Have you tried lying?
>
>Seriously. What are they going to do? Take away your birthday. Just start
>lying on your resume. Go for entry level or lower end jobs. Ones that
want 1 -
>3 years experience. Then when you get the job, work you're butt off to make
>sure they don't see you're lying. You can always claim 1 year experience.
>Heck, you went to school right - that counts for something. That and your
>internship - sounds like a year of experience to me.
>
>If you feel morally bothered about lying, just think how morally bothersome
>poverty feels. A little lie to get in the door doesn't seem so bad in
>comparison to poverty and unhappiness.
>
>If you're smart and resourceful, it doesn't matter how many years experience
>you have - you'll do okay. Most interviews and resumes are about
illusions, not
>real productivity. If you sound good and can follow through on your
>commitments - you'll be fine.
>
>I would not bother with the big agencies and headhunters. They have rigid
>requirements that all humans must meet. You might want to stay away from
>really big companies as well. I also think big companies are a waste. They
>have too many rules and regulations that inhibit people from learning new
>things. Big companies are also infested with parasitic writers who
complain and
>grumble constantly. If you have the misfortune of working with one of these
>dinosaurs, they'll sap away your will to live.
>
>Mentoring programs are a great way to meet intolerant egomaniacs who will
pound
>their singular vision of the universe into your head. As for volunteer work,
>not a bad idea. But let's face it, you need money.
>
>A small company is an ideal place to get started. Many small start-ups are
>willing to give an entry level person a chance if you sell yourself well. You
>might have to take a lame salary (ask for stock!), but you have so many more
>opportunities to learn new things. If you can make it at a small company, you
>can make it anywhere.
>
>Good luck.
>
>Andrew Plato
>President / Principal Consultant
>Anitian Consulting, Inc.
>

>--- Beth Davy <bethdavy -at- CANADA -dot- COM> wrote:
>> hi,
>> i am going through the exciting process that is job-searching, but here
>> is
>> my prob:
>> i just graduated with a BA in english and worked last summer at a
>> software
>> company doing some tech writing and online help (robohelp) but that is
>> really only 4 months experience.

>From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000==

Marilynne Smith marilyns -at- qualcomm -dot- com
Sr. Technical Writer (858) 651-6664
QUALCOMM AE-203B
"We're creating a wireless world"

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=