Re: Desperately seeking employment (and why)

Subject: Re: Desperately seeking employment (and why)
From: "Marie C. Paretti" <mparetti -at- RRINC -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 14:13:03 -0400

At 01:26 PM 7/14/99 -0400, Mark Baker <mbaker -at- omnimark -dot- com> wrote:

>Note that, in many cases, employers will be impressed by any evidence of
>technical skill, even outside their area of work, because they see it as
>evidence of the ability to learn technical subjects.

What Mark says is quite true in my experience - even though my
graduate degrees are in English, my undergrad is a B.S. in chemical
engineering, and I know for a fact that when potential employers see
that, they take it to mean that I can learn whatever I don't already know
about their app. And that's exactly why I stress the ability-to-learn
approach rather than the knowledge-in-hand approach. You do,
as Mark has aptly pointed out, need ways to demonstrate that you
can learn the necessary material - learning a technical skill is one
way, but I suspect there are other ways in.

Marie

Marie C. Paretti, PhD
Manager, Technical Communications
Recognition Research, Inc. (RRI)