Re: Desperately seeking employment (and why)

Subject: Re: Desperately seeking employment (and why)
From: Michele Marques <mmarques -at- CMS400 -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 12:56:02 -0400

I was offended by Joe's (Joe Schrengohst
<jschreng -at- CISCO -dot- COM>) post, but don't know why he thinks this
mean that I need it most... I studied Computer Science in college
and have worked as: computer operator, programmer, helpdesk
support staff, system administrator (unix & mac lab), computer
trainer, webmaster and technical writer. Although I didn't study
writing per se in College, I did lots of writing for courses and while
in highschool had taken university writing courses (as well as all
the writing courses offered in h.s.).

What offended me in his post was his characterization of women
as typists (neither writers nor technically inclined). I do see the
need to be educated and experienced in both writing and
technically (hopefully in the general field about which is being
written... e.g., I would not feel qualified for technical writing outside
the computer industry). Although it may be more common for
women in the field to have a writing background, I have also seen
the results of a male English professor who wrote technical
manuals.

And my husband (a programmer) types at least as quickly as me ;-)

- Michele

Michele Marques
Technical Writer, CMS Manufacturing Systems
mmarques -at- cms400 -dot- com
905-477-4499 x280

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=