Identifying jargon

Subject: Identifying jargon
From: Tracy Jones <tracyj -at- ASG -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 13:36:30 -0400

Hi. I'm doing a lot of in-house editing, and I'm having trouble identifying
what's jargon and what's actually a term that someone will recognize. The
writers have ceded on "shops," but are sticking to "zaps" and "hot-keyed."
About 75 percent of our documentation is for mainframe environments, and
the documents that use the most jargon are geared toward systems
administrators, so I am willing to admit that the Microsoft and Sun manuals
are not always on-target. Does anyone know of a source that will tell you
what's jargon and what's not?

Thanks in advance!

Tracy Jones
tracyj -at- asg -dot- com