Re: Help files from existing manuals

Subject: Re: Help files from existing manuals
From: Svi Ben-Elya <svi -dot- ben-elya -at- AKS -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 06:49:41 GMT

I would recommend using RoboHelp because it is basically a set of Word
macros. You can provide both the compiled WinHelp or HTML help, and the
Word document that serves as a source file.

Another option is to create Adobe Acrobat files with links. The viewer is
distributed free and is already quite common.

____________________________________
Svi Ben-Elya
svib -at- aks -dot- com
chase -at- netvision -dot- net -dot- il
_____________________________________

On 07/21/99 10:33:04 AM AST Mary Joan Deutschbein wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I am an independent writer in Rochester, NY. I usually write user guides
for
>custom software and imaging machines. I apologize if these topics have
been
>covered already. I searched the archives and got some great information,
but
>I couldn't find answers to these specific questions.
>
>I am beginning to dabble in creating help files from Word documents. (I
know
>the limitations of Word, but until very recently my clients have wanted
>their users to be able to use Word to access electronic versions.) What is
>the most efficient way to do this? I think my clients are now moving away
>from hard copy to on-line documentation. What is the best way to provide
an
>on-line document that can also serve as a printed manual, and is easily
>converted to on-line help? What do you suggest for development tools?
>
>Although I am a trained programmer, the part of my work that I really
enjoy
>is writing for the user. I am concerned that my job will get further and
>further removed from the user's needs. How do you balance writing with the
>technical knowledge required to produce on-line documentation?
>
>I have a client who wants their user guide and help files to come from the
>same source (to make updates more efficient.) He wants me to use Help &
>Manual, but the user guide has already been written. Is there a way to
>import a document into Help & Manual? From what I can determine you have
>develop the manual/help files in Help & Manual from scratch.
>
>Any resources, references, etc. are greatly appreciated. If you write me
>off-line, I'll be happy to compile a summary and send it to the list.
>
>Thanks in advance,
>
>Mary Joan Deutschbein

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=