Re: Project Estimates

Subject: Re: Project Estimates
From: Larissa Neumann <neumannl -at- DSCLTD -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 10:11:35 -0400

Hi Joy:

I do use JoAnn Hackos'method for estimating projects, including for
revisions of existing documents.

What I usually do is look at the spec, or whatever information I have about
the revision, and try to estimate how many changes I will need to write, and
how many new pages these changes will entail.

Then I take this page count and multiply it by the hours per page rate from
the dependency calculator.

I find that I can apply the dependency calculator to revisions as well as to
new projects.

My estimates are, on average, 90% accurate. Some projects I find I
underestimated, some I have overestimated. As I get more experience
estimating projects, I believe I am becoming more accurate.
Of course if the scope of the project changes unexpectedly (which happens),
all my lovely estimates and projected release dates may go right out the
window. :-(

In general, I find Hackos method to be a useful starting point. I wonder
what others' experiences are with it?

Larissa Neumann
Technical Writer
DSC Ltd.