Re: Word 97 > HTML

Subject: Re: Word 97 > HTML
From: Dianne Blake <write-it -at- HOME -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 22:36:54 -0700

Eilan wrote:
I am very comfortable editing HTML tags and I do so to solve my problem.
However, my clients are not that comfortable with them and prefer to use
a tool that requires no knowledge of HTML. They also want to remain
using Word 97 so that they can create Table of Contents and Indexes for
the manuals they want printed (they want to have the manuals online and
in a hard copy)

-----
After you convert your documents to HTML from within Word 97, try to
view them from Netscape. My experience with Word doing the conversion is
that it is Netscape unfriendly. The way it turns codes on and off tends
to confuse Netscape and you will find that a good portion of your
formatting (especially bold codes) are reversed from what you desire.

I was having the same problem with a client who wanted everything
converted from within Word. Then I took the file and showed him the
results. In Internet Explorer - everything looked pretty dead on - but
in Netscape - well, just say he got my point.

I had to spend quite a bit of time cleaning up the HTML code so that IE
and NS could read the code properly. It is mostly just moving the codes
to different paragraphs.

-Dianne Blake

begin:vcard
n:Blake;Dianne
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
url:http://members.home.net/write-it
org:http://members.home.net/write-it
version:2.1
email;internet:write-it -at- home -dot- com
title:Consultant, Writer, & Trainer
fn:Dianne Blake
end:vcard