Word 97 > HTML

Subject: Word 97 > HTML
From: Eilan Ng Kwan <eilan -at- IBM -dot- NET>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 10:17:05 -0700

Hello everyone!

I am currently converting all of my client's Word 97 documents into HTML
(using the Save As HTML option). With the HTML files, I was going to create
a Help File using the HTML Help Workshop.

My problems are:

1) Whenever I have a list of numbered items, after the conversion, the HTML
file loses the numbering fuction. Instead of reading 1,2,3, etc, it reads
1,1,1,etc..!!???? When I fix it, save it, close it and then open it again,
it has the same problem.

2) My tables do not keep its original appearance.

I have done some reading in various news groups and many people acknowledge
this deficiency in Word 97; however, they have not suggested any solutions
(or could it be that there are none).
Also, I heard that Word 2000 addressed this problem. Does anyone have any
experiences using Word 2000?

I am very comfortable editing HTML tags and I do so to solve my problem.
However, my clients are not that comfortable with them and prefer to use a
tool that requires no knowledge of HTML. They also want to remain using
Word 97 so that they can create Table of Contents and Indexes for the
manuals they want printed (they want to have the manuals online and in a
hard copy)

I thought about using FrontPage as the editing tool. However, it still
doesn't solve the conversion problem.

Thanks,

Eilan

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=