Re: advice for starting grad school?

Subject: Re: advice for starting grad school?
From: Scott Havens <SHavens -at- ELCOTEL -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 11:44:19 -0400

I think I'd just go for a goodly number of (preferably glowing)
recommendations from those who have known me during my WORKING life. If
you've been active in STC or other relevant activities, a letter from the
local chapter president, director-sponsor, etc., wouldn't hurt either, even
if you've never worked directly with that person. I agree that in your
circumstances a letter from an undergrad prof would be useless (assuming
they even remembered you at this point). If the grad school questions your
omission of the undergraduate professor's letter, I'm sure you could explain
the situation... OR you could simply smile and say, "I'm sorry, but they're
all dead." (Just kidding...)

...the grad TW program I'm thinking of applying to has a
> requirement that one of the rec letters has to be from an undergraduate
> professor. Background: I've been out of undergraduate school for roughly
> forever, and didn't major in tech writing anyway.
>
> How would you handle this?
>
> Thanks
> Corinne

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=