Re: When to Index?

Subject: Re: When to Index?
From: "Brierley, Sean" <Brierley -at- QUODATA -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 16:17:12 -0400

Hallo:

I index at three distinct times. I consider the index to be a very important
part of the book and try to consider how my readers will search for things.

I index as I am writing the book. Sometimes I put in a few too many markers
and sometimes not enough. Frequently, I lose sight of exactly the entry
names I am using such that there might be a couple of separate entries that
really belong together, as subsets of one entry. The benefit of indexing
while writing is that the subject matter is clear and fresh in my mind.
Also, I am acutely aware of any stumbling blocks and issues that I can help
the reader by indexing around an issue.

I also index after I am finished writing the book but early in the review
process, before the final review copy. In this indexing pass, I delete
extra, unnecessary entries, make sure my entries are grouped and named
consistently, and add missing entries--I try to have an SME assist with this
(good luck!<vbg>).

Finally, I ask reviewers to specifically review the index for usability. At
this point I make sure all review comments are incorporated in the index and
adjust the index according to those very few reader comments I receive.

So, yes, why not index now?

All the best.

Sean
sean -at- quodata -dot- com

<g>

>>> in
>>>Word. I need to create an Index for this manual. When is the
>>>best time
>>>to create an Index....should it be once I have completed the
>>>manual or
>>>can I start creating an Index right now when I am 80%
>>>through with the

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=