Re: Do you reformat your paper doc for PDF?

Subject: Re: Do you reformat your paper doc for PDF?
From: "Jeanne A. E. DeVoto" <jaed -at- JAEDWORKS -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 1999 11:35:02 -0700

At 9:09 AM -0700 7/29/99, Susana Rosende wrote:
>My company is also opting to make our pdf files available from our FTP site,
>and considering dropping HAT-created online help for an online manual

Others have already commented on this... I'll just add the general
all-important injunction to Know Your User.

>As I am know only basic HTML, I'd like to know how you load a PDF file to
>the Internet and/or Intranet.

Nothing could be simpler. Just upload the file to a directory and link to
it as usual:
<a hRef="../pdf-files/manual.pdf">Online Manual</a>. Depending on how the
browser is set up, this may cause the PDF to be displayed in the browser
window (if the Adobe Acrobat plug-in is installed), or it may start a
download of the PDF file.

(Occasionally, misconfigured browsers may try to display the raw contents
of the file in the browser window. You may want to include instructions on
the page in case this happens to a visitor; these instructions boil down to
"If you're using Netscape or Explorer, click-and-hold on the link (if on a
Mac) or right-click the link (if on Windows or UNIX), and choose Save to
Disk from the popup menu that appears.")

--
jeanne a. e. devoto ~ jaed -at- jaedworks -dot- com
http://www.jaedworks.com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=