Re: What should ANON do?

Subject: Re: What should ANON do?
From: Ed Gregory <edgregory -at- HOME -dot- NET>
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 1999 05:11:16 -0500

What should ANON do?

Attend meetings. Be active. Be vocal. Let everyone know you are excited
about your work and interested in working. Develop skills specific to the
projects underway. Show initiative!

When I first entered this business, I was warned by my agency to be careful
about being a "Type A personality in a Type B profession."

I don't think this is of necessity a profession for Type B personalities.
It might be great if you are working in a very large department and are
anonymous. However, in a team and project world, your manager is not likely
to be a Type B or a manager of technical writers. Your manager is going to
expect team members and project participants of whatever stripe to be
energetic and focused. If you sit back and edit a document and wait for
someone to hand you the next one, you will be disappointed. Other, more
energetic team members will be gobbling up the work.

Taking work from a teammate? Nope, just working dilligently toward the goal
of getting the project done. Getting noticed in the process? You bet.
Gaining different skills as you go? Yup! Gaining valued experience? Sure
enough. Becoming a "senior" tech writer? Come to think of it, yes.

The choice is still yours. You can become a "senior" tech writer, or you
can become an "old" tech writer. I don't know of many companies these days
that give out social promotions.

In summary: Becoming a "senior tech writer" is not a matter of time on the
job, it is a matter of having a higher level of skill and more valuable
experience.

Ed Gregory
http://www.members.home.net/edgregory/search1.htm

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=