Re: Paying for the listserv

Subject: Re: Paying for the listserv
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- YAHOO -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 1999 06:22:40 -0700

If the list was "hobby" oriented, then I think you
might have a valid point.

However, if you are a student, would you not buy a
required $5 or $10 textbook?

Guys...we're not talking alot of money here... Let's
put it in perspective. Do you buy a sixpack of beer
once a month? OK, two sixpacks of Coke. How about a
Burger King Value Meal? How about a dozen pens and a
pad of paper?

Do you subscribe to an ISP? That's $20 per month. Can
you justify half that once a year?

How about another way? Even if you are earning a rate
at the low end of our pay scale, you're earning,
what...$20 per hour? Even at that rate, I can allocate
30 minutes of work per year (even 30 minutes per
month)to pay for my list subscription.

To me it's a no-brainer and feeling that a $5 or $10
contribution per year (or even per month) to an
education is too much is doing that education a grave
injustice.

We've got to invest in our careers.

> While I don't mind paying for the list, I do foresee
> one potential
> problem...students. While I was in grad school, one
> of my professors
> required that we sign up for Techwr-L. What a great
> move! I learned more
> about the "real world" of tech writing, and really
> got a feel for the field.
>
> If payment had been required, there's no way I could
> have had the
> experience. I also believe that students (and those
> who may just be
> starting out in the field) would not be willing or
> able to pay for this
> service.
>
> I vote for finding another free server.
>
> Jeff Hanvey