Re: Paying for the listserv

Subject: Re: Paying for the listserv
From: Catharine Strauss <cstrauss -at- EPICOR -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 1999 09:04:55 -0500

I'd like to add that students, if they aren't willing to pay the money have
several options, the same as if they weren't willing to buy the text book.

- Share the fees with another student
- The professor could set up access to the posts that was available at
specific times (just the same as professors making the texts available at
the library or resource center)
- Not pay the fees, not read the posts and still bluff through class (it
happens)

Students will always complain about any extra expenses, but getting around
those expenses (cutting corners, being frugal, and pulling small cheats
where necessary) are an important part of the skills you learn in college.
<grin>

Additionally, 20 bucks is a drop in the bucket. I'd consider a subscription
to this list to be as essential as a textbook and worth just as much. I
wish I had taken a course where this list was required, my only grumble
would have been that I couldn't read it while relaxing out on a park bench
and watching people play frisbee.

-Catharine Strauss