Re: TW impaired CW?

Subject: Re: TW impaired CW?
From: Melissa Morgan <mmorgan -at- INTREPID -dot- CDG-HARGRAY -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 1999 09:01:20 -0500

I sometimes have the same problem. Fortunately,
it's not a permanent problem. For me, at least, it's
just a matter of being out of practice, and not really
exercising those creative neurons. What I do to get
back into the swing of creative writing is pick up my
favorite novel or book of poetry and read a few chapters.
Then, to get the dust off the gears, I take a word (any
word), and make a poem or lyric out of it.

For example, take the word "TREAT". The first line of
the poem must start with a T, the second line with an
R, the third with an E, and so on. So...

The writer was clacking her keys again,
Round her head ideas were flying,
Each thought was written with an imaginary pen,
And she wasn't even really trying.
The gears just needed some oiling.

(No applause, please--you'll make me blush)

Another good way to get the creativity going is
to brainstorm, then map what you've written so
that the ideas form some logical order. Don't order
them as you brainstorm, just write whatever comes
into your head. Organize later. In fact, don't stop
writing for 5 minutes, even if you are just writing,
"this is stupid, I can't think of anything". I hope
these few ideas will get you going, at least. I know
they probably sound rather corny, but they actually
(for whatever reason) work for me.

Melissa Morgan
mmorgan -at- intrepid -dot- cdg-hargray -dot- com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=