Re: alternative to numbering?

Subject: Re: alternative to numbering?
From: Bill Burns <BillDB -at- ILE -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 1999 12:20:22 -0600

Joanne Grey wrote:

> > We are producing two rather large docs (about 700 pages each)
> > that will
> > be translated into multiple languages. because of this,
> > management wants
> > to move to a numbered heading system - like the military, where the
> > Heading 1 is "Section 1", heading 2s are "Section 1.1" heading threes
> > are "Section 1.1.1" and so on.

And LH responded:

> Why? So the sections in the translated manuals parse to the sections in
> the
> non-translated manuals? Is there a non-internal need for this? I can see
> where it would be a valuable thing for the translators and writers, but I
> don't understand the user benefit of a numbered heading system for
> translated manuals.

I guess I'm sort of wondering how a translator would benefit from this, as
well as what the user would gain. If it's a large document set, the
localization/translation vendor may very well have multiple translators per
language. I've never really heard of this method of organization as a
localization strategy. There are many other issues to consider that are more
important.

Joanne, could you elaborate on the rationale behind this strategy?

> > The doc manager would like to avoid this for aesthetic reasons. Has
> > anyone used an effective alternative.

Continuous pagination between the two volumes and a master index and TOC?
Separate pagination for each chapter? I guess I'm still trying to understand
the impetus behind management's decision.

Bill Burns - Eccentric Technology Consultant
International Communications Design & Development
billdb -at- ile -dot- com
This face intentionally left blank.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=