voice recognition software

Subject: voice recognition software
From: "Jody R. Lorig" <jlorig -at- KAVOURAS -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 1999 09:12:52 +0000

Lori asked about voice recognition software.

Voice recognition software is not widely used yet, but I have accummulated
bits
of information about the topic. I have never used any of these products, but
here are some places to look:

IBM offers a product called ViaVoice
Dragon Systems Inc. offers a group of products
Lernout & Hauspie offers a product called VoiceXpress Professional

Stephanie Cottrell, an author, writes about this topic. See
http://www.scottrell.com/speech/index.html

21st Century Eloquence web site offers info plus a discounted clearance link
for voice recognition packages. Some of the clearance items listed are
add-on
terminology modules for various medical disciplines (got you covered
Smokey):
http://www.voicerecognition.com

The computing out loud web site:
http://www.out-loud.com

Some people who use voice recognition software have stated that if you are
trying to use VR to transcribe the content of a taped conversation, it will
take you 3-times as long as it took for the original conversation. E.g., a
1/2
hour tape will take 1-1/2 hours to convert.

The biggest drawback that has been repeatedly mentioned is the large set-up
time required. Basically, you have to teach the software your voice and how
you
pronounce words. Plus, the software is only good for one user. Each user
would
require having their own copy of the software.
Mr. Jody Lorig
Publications Manager
Kavouras, a DTN company
JLorig -at- Kavouras -dot- com