Re: Style Guidelines for pull-down menus

Subject: Re: Style Guidelines for pull-down menus
From: DHICKEY -at- ALIS -dot- COM
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 1999 10:22:53 -0400

Greetings!

>We are trying to get some clarity about how
> to document a pull-down menu correctly.

This is the way I usually write the instruction:

1. Select Open from the File menu.
or
2. Select Spelling from the Tools sub-menu in the Options menu.

The way I see it, put the command the user needs at the beginning of the
sentence, giving it more emphasis, then tell the user where to find it. I
also find it more natural: "Get my keys from the glove compartment" instead
of "From the glove compartment, get my keys".

As for Select over Choose, I would choose "select". <g> It's a personal
choice, but if I were to defend it, I would say that "select" implies that
you are select something from a list of items that are always available and
"choose" implies a more direct decision rising from a need for something
that's just happened.

Either way, I think "select" is more appropriate for documentation purposes.
--
Be seeing you,

Dave
John David Hickey
Montreal, Quebec, Canada eh?

dhickey -at- alis -dot- com
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Hills/7829/
wk: 514-747-2542 ext.: 317
pg: 514-205-9209

They say that the pen is mightier than the sword.
But if you miss a deadline, you'd better bring the sword.
Don't confuse my opinion with my employer's.
Each exists in blissful ignorance of the other.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=