Re: Use of "You" in Documentation

Subject: Re: Use of "You" in Documentation
From: Suzette Seveny <sseveny -at- PETVALU -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 1999 11:07:15 -0400

I use the word "you" in User Guides and User Manuals. I use "user" in
technical manuals. I'm not sure what you mean by a "product guide", but if
it
was a marketing-type thingie, I would go with "you".

Just how I do things,

Suzette Seveny
Markham, Ontario, Canada
sseveny -at- petvalu -dot- com or suzette -at- yesic -dot- com
DISCLAIMER:
Any opinions expressed are MY opinions.
Feel free to have your own.
Let's agree to disagree
But Please - Don't Flame Me.

If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried.

On Friday, August 06, 1999 10:02 AM, Norman, Mary
[SMTP:Mary -dot- Norman -at- WESTGROUP -dot- COM] wrote:
> Hi Everyone -
>
> Several days ago, our documentation team was having a
> discussion about the use of "you" in our product guides. We agreed that
> "you" really brings the user into the fold, but we were wondering if there
> are some more formal rules about this usage that we could turn to...We
have
> already consulted the Microsoft Manual.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=