Re: Paid subscription (long)

From: CarolAnn Hilton <Carolann -dot- Hilton -at- TRW -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 1999 08:31:31 -0700

I'm a fairly new member of the list and am only today catching up on about a week's worth of digests. It's been a busy week on the list. I had no idea it was so expensive to run, and I commend Ray and Deb for their hard work. I've learned a lot in just a few weeks from the list.

I've seen the idea of becoming a non-profit raised, and hope that I can add to that segment of the discussion. I worked in the non-profit world for almost 20 years and can testify that converting the list to non-profit status would be a very daunting task. As I see it (and I'm not an expert), it would be very difficult to obtain straight 501(c)(3) status from the IRS. That's the status of most charitable non-profits, and it's what allows contributors to be able to deduct contributions to the non-profit on their tax returns. The non-profit has to be able to demonstrate that it is engaged in providing direct services to some needy population, and even though the list is a service and those of who subscribe to it need the information we receive, we don't really fit that definition of a charity.

The list probably would fit one of the other definitions of a non-profit, and I think it would probably come closer to the professional organization category. Those other types cannot accept contributions as defined by the IRS, they can only accept dues and fees. Dues are not deductible as charitable contributions, although they can be deducted elsewhere on tax returns (as non-reimbursed business expenses, I believe). Professional organizations who want to be able to allow members to make contributions ususally have to establish a separate foundation to accept the contributions and administer the funds. For example, I used to belong to the National Society of Fund Raising Executives (NSFRE). There is also a separate entity called the NSFRE Foundation which accepts members' contributions and uses them to fund the organization's philanthropic programs (subsidizing staff from small non-profits that cannot afford conference fees but need fund raising training, for example). So I think that, if we wanted to be able to let people be "patrons" of the list by making contributions, it would take two non-profit organizations not one. Both would have to file incorporation papers in their home state(s) as well.

All of this would probably need to involve lawyers and would take 1-2 years to accomplish. It sounds like Deb and Ray need to take action sooner than that. Don't forget that there would be continuing administrivia such as filing tax returns. A board of directors would have to be put in place, etc.

All that said, I'll put in my vote for paying an annual fee if a sponsor cannot be found. I don't have any contacts for finding a sponsor, but would happy to help in writing proposals to any who are identified if that would be of use.

Have a good weekend all.

Carol Ann Hilton
Technical Writer/Editor
TRW Systems & Information Technology Group
Phone: 703/845-8363
E-mail: carolann -dot- hilton -at- trw -dot- com

>>> Ron Sering <rsering -at- EXCALIB -dot- COM> 08/05 11:49 AM >>>
Eric and Deb have been the grand poobahs of this list since Gopher was the
internet surfing tool of choice. I think that they deserve nomination for
sainthood. I am a-okay with paying, but anytime the terms "accountant" and
"lawyer" start entering the conversation, it implies an increased level of
complication. And there is the possibility of applying for nonprofit status.
The implications of all this seem daunting from an administrative
standpoint.

How do the other free lists, like frameusers or winhlp-l (and innumerable
others) handle their situations?

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000