Re: FileMaker vs. Access ??

Subject: Re: FileMaker vs. Access ??
From: Metzger Karen <Metzger_Karen -at- PRC -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 1999 11:55:15 -0400

I have some experience with FileMaker PRIOR to v4 (when it supposedly became
relational), and I am also experienced with Access 97. Here are my general
comments:

The FMP interface is fairly user-friendly (it doesn't exactly hold your
hand, but it can be figured out). It does not seem to be as capable as
Access (but I could be wrong there--remember the version differences do
matter here).

My personal preference is Access hands-down for one very simple reason:

EVERYONE HAS IT. It comes with Ofc 97 Professional, and even people who
wouldn't know what to do with it have it on their desktop, so that if you
wanted to network with it, making a common database (which we do), they can
read it without having to have it installed. It is also extremely powerful.
There is nothing you can't do with Access, IMHO, and I don't even know
visual basic--yes, there are some things you can't do with it if you don't
know VB, but so far I have gotten by and we have a very capable and
attractive interface that we have designed, with nice reports, etc.

It is more complex to learn than FMP, but the help files are so fantastic,
that you can almost always find out the answer to your problem if you plug
away at the help features and have an Access-savvy friend to help you when
you get bogged (which will happen in any application). I learned the basics
after a 30-minute tour given by a co-worker, and let the help files help me
through the rest... Caveat: you may not learn it this quickly IF you don't
have a basic knowledge of relational databases, but it is still well within
the reach of any enterprising person who wants to learn.

Good luck!
kcm