Re: TECHWR-L Digest - 7 Aug 1999 to 8 Aug 1999 (#1999-113)

Subject: Re: TECHWR-L Digest - 7 Aug 1999 to 8 Aug 1999 (#1999-113)
From: Bill Fetzner <BFetzner -at- ETCCONNECT -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 1999 09:39:14 -0500

I'm not quite where you're at Bill, but thinking along the same lines (also
a PhD in engineering who migrated to TW in my senior years). Currently, I'm
employed as a tech writer making user manuals and associated paper docs for
a hardware/software manufacturer. I'm interested in extending my skills into
online documentation because that sector of TW seems to be growing in
demand.

I suggest you fortify your skills in HTML and PDF technologies, including
finding out how various publication application programs get there. For
instance, Framemaker and Pagemaker have built-in conversion utilities to
generate HTML and PDF files as well as their native files, so it's not
essential to use a separate conversion utility. But, of course, separate
conversion utilities are available for many applications, such as Webworks
for Framemaker, and many people swear by them as an alternative for HTML
generation from the source application.

Bill Fetzner, Tech. Writer
bfetzner -at- etcconnect -dot- com
Electronic Theatre Controls ("We light up your life")

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=