Re: Interviews and Portfolios

Subject: Re: Interviews and Portfolios
From: "Olive, Eric" <EOlive -at- GLHEC -dot- ORG>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 1999 08:09:55 -0500

BRAD WROTE:

> When I interview a writer, I *always* expect a portfolio. I specifically
> ask
> to see some specific pages that the writer wrote. In fact, since I'm
> usually
> not the first person to interview a given writer/candidate (my boss
> usually
> is), I specifically ask before the interview begins for his or her "very
> best original writing samples" that I can take away from the interviewing
> room and give it a quick review by myself at my desk. I'll ask if I can
> photocopy a few sample pages to show others, and that's never been a
> problem.

-----------------------------

An employer is certainly within her rights to demand a portfolio.
She is not, however, within her rights to ask the candidate if she can
photocopy the samples. I cannot and will not release my samples because
doing so violates client confidentiality. I fail to understand why some
people can't grasp this point. Would you want your writers freely releasing
your documentation? Look at the samples during the interview. If you need
more information, ask the writer to compose or edit a short document. We
discussed this subject at some length about two months ago. Please see the
list archives for views on the portfolio issue.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=