Re: Portfolios and writing samples...

Subject: Re: Portfolios and writing samples...
From: Melonie Holliman <melonie -dot- holliman -at- AMD -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 1999 12:58:12 -0500

Howdy,

The best interview I ever had as an interviewee: it was with a recruiter
who specialized in TW. She took me to lunch. Over this leisurely lunch,
she took out each of my documents in my portfolio and questioned me
in-depth about each one. She gave me input and ideas and told me what
she liked and what she didn't like. At the end of that interview, I felt a
higher
trust in her ability to represent me. I also felt like she really knew my
capabilities and my strengths.

So, yes, I do want to be there as the interviewer peruses my documents. I
want to hear what kind of questions they ask. I want to know how they think
about documentation. When I am interviewing for a job, I am interviewing the
company as much as they are interviewing me.

I never leave one of my printed samples with an interviewer, though it is
mainly
because I only have a few of each. I will send small snippets of electronic
files,
after I have spoken with them in-depth on the phone.

When it comes to interviewing, I ALWAYS trust my gut over anything else. If
my insides are screaming "something's not right here", it almost always is a
valid warning. When an interview does not feel right, I get out leaving as
little
information behind as I can.

There are plenty of slimey folk out there; I try to be aware without being
paranoid.

Melonie R. Holliman
Technical Writer
CG Marketing