Re: Portfolios and writing samples...a little more

Subject: Re: Portfolios and writing samples...a little more
From: "Brierley, Sean" <Brierley -at- QUODATA -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 1999 14:56:29 -0400

Hallo:

Is it the interviewer's responsibility? Consider: Does the client have a
requirement or not. If no, then no worries. If yes, there is no position of
compromise, it's pretty black and white: you either can or cannot compromise
the requirements of a previous client. If you cannot, say so. Certainly, the
interviewer should not be expected to know this beforehand.

>>>As Sean's last paragraph states, this has NOT happened to
>>>him, therefore perhaps all of his interviewers displayed the
>>>proper integrity, thus not putting him into this awkward position.

True. I have never been asked anything unreasonable by an interviewer.

>>>2. Do all tech writers out there have client permission to
>>>show his/her work in an interview? If not, the writer
>>>cannot show it.

Er . . . not true.

>>>3. If the tech writer does not have permission to show
>>>his/her work, does he/she show it anyway? Beware, if you
>>>choose to take the risk!

If there is a risk, you can choose to take it or not. What are the potential
benefits?

>>>4. Does any tech writer out there have client permission to
>>>allow a potential employer to copy any of his/her work? If
>>>no permission, how can the tech writer allow it? Not
>>>his/her authority.

If a client has said or written, "Joe Techwriter can use this work as part
of a portfolio for purposes of getting another job" with no restrictions
about copying a page or two . . . is it okay? I recommend you might not want
to copy the entire thing, especially for a competitor. This seems a sticky
issue, I recommend proceeding intelligently, which certainly might include
not permitting any copies to be made.

Let's say I worked for Microsoft (did not). Let's say I wrote a book called
"Running Away From Word Processor 99" that is available from MS Press and a
bookstore near you. Let's also say I did not get permission from MS to use
the book as part of my portfolio, cannot I show it? What are the risks? What
are the benefits? I submit I can show the thing without explicit permission.
I submit I could knock on Corel's door and show the sample, too.

That scenario is not too far fetched. At one job I wrote proprietary,
internal, confidential information. I have never used that in my portfolio.
At other companies, I have written books about software, books that are
readily available to any and all customers, and for direct purchase.
Competitors, too, can purchase the things. What specific permission do I
need to show a commercially available book and say "yeah, I wrote that"?

>>>If the writer allows copying of ANY clients'
>>>property without prior permission, serious repercussions
>>>could, and sometimes do, result. This is factual stuff,
>>>here and it cannot be opinionated away.

Okay, so if I wrote "Running Away from Word Processor 99," it makes little
sense that I cannot bring it to the interview but I can say, "If you want to
see my portfolio, you must surf over to amazon.com and pay $30 to order my
protfolio."

Similarly, "I wrote 'Info on software 101 by XYZ Company. I cannot show it
to you but here's there phone number/web site, you can order one and look at
it."

>>>This company repeatedly advised the firm
>>>that none of its material could be displayed outside the
>>>confines of the company without prior written permission,
>>>which the company never gives, as per policy. After a
>>>dispute over another, unrelated matter, the firm decided to
>>>display some company material in a trade show . . .

<snip>

This is a different matter entirely, IMHO. Permission was specifically
refused and I would certainly not argue that I could reproduce any of
"Running Away From Word Processor 99" images or content. That would be like
working the stylized Windows logo into my booth display in a non-approved
manner.

My current employer sends books to clients (hardcopy and now PDF) and
encourages the client to make as many copies as they like. I'll bet $$$ the
competition has a complete set . . . or two. There's no NDA, no statement
about proprietary info . . . et al. If I never asked for permission to show
these at a future interview, would I be wrong to do so?

>>>So now, <snip>, would it be wise to take risks and allow
>>>interviewers to copy material that is not owned by the
>>>writer, or to simply allow the interviewer to review in the
>>>writer's presence?

I agree that copying is an issue. Copying of copyrighted material is an
issue. Daily, people violate such things and make photocopies that are
verboten. This is not right. As writers, we should be sensitive to this.
However, what is the likelihood of consequences? What is the real harm? What
are the benefits? Be careful when you assess these because many will not be
impressed by a wanton violation of copyright.

>>>To address the time waste issue, couldn't that simply be
>>>handled by scheduling one's self open ended to facilitate
>>>any additional time needed?
>>>
>>>Please do what you feel is right for you, and
>>>prepare to reap the result, whether it be good or bad.

I appreciate the open and honest discussion on this. It is an issue I have
been faced with and that affects any tech writer looking for a job. I agree
that intelligence and discretion need to be applied. It certainly makes
sense for writers to seek permission to show samples and it further makes
sense not to show the "DoD Manual on Nuclear Submarine Repair" when
interviewing at "Igor Russky's Fine Imports of Minsk, Inc."

Thanks for the time. <g>

Sean
sean -at- quodata -dot- com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=