Re: Auto update and re-format in Word tables

Subject: Re: Auto update and re-format in Word tables
From: Beth Friedman <bjf -at- WAVEFRONT -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 23:15:46 -0500

At 01:53 PM 8/12/99 -0500, David Goldfayl wrote:

>A colleague asked me the following, for which I have no answer as I use
>FrameMaker these days.
>
>I'm sure that the collective wisdom and experience out there will have an
>answer
>to this one.
>
>Any thoughts/ideas/advise will be very much appreciated.
>
>Thanks in advance
>David Goldfayl
>
>----------------------
>
>Hi David,
>
>Here is an outline of the problem I spoke to you about:
>
>What I want is to create a table using styles in a Word 97 document that
is
>automatically updated when new entries are added (by pressing the F9 key
>when
>the field code below is selected). The finished article should look like
>this -
>
>ACC Adds accounting entries.
>CC Captures cost centre details.
>CD Captures Code Descriptions.
>CED Currency Exchange Definitions
>
>Where columns one and two are particular styles, say column one is one I
>have created called H4 and column 2 is another style called Format.
>
>I can insert a TOC using a field code like this one { TOC \N \T "H 4,1,
>FORMAT,2
>"} but it produces a list of the desired info but in paragraph format like

>this:
>ACC
>Adds accounting entries.
>CC
>Captures cost centre details.
>CD
>Captures Code Descriptions.
>CED
>Currency Exchange Definitions
>
>That's not what I want.
>
>Any ideas???

Well, unless the document changes frequently, why not do all the data
entry, then unlink the fields (saving the ToC field code as an autotext
entry for future use), then select the text and use Convert Text to Table,
with paragraphs as delimiter instead of the usual tabs. Would that work?

--
"UNIX is user friendly. It's just selective about who its friends are."
Beth Friedman

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=