Re: Definition of List Server

Subject: Re: Definition of List Server
From: Thom Randolph <thom -at- HALCYON -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 1999 07:26:18 -0700

At 04:42 PM 8/12/99 -0700, you wrote:
>Anybody know a good definition of a list server?
>~~~~~ Bev Lockhart, Documentation Editor for Seattle Lab

Bev.

Here's the best I could find on the net. It's at

http://www.trinity.edu/~rjensen/245glosf.htm#L-Terms

Turns out that apparently the "correct" wording is a
single word, without the last "e". And, it's someone's
trademark!

Thom Randolph
thom -at- halcyon -dot- com

-==- -==- -==- -==- -==- -==- -==- -==- -==- -==- -==- -==- -==-

Listserv=
an email system where users "subscribe" to join
in on group messages. A message sent to the
listserv is sent to every subscriber's mail box.

A listserv is similar to an email "bulletin board."
However, users of bulletin boards do not receive
the messages in their mail boxes without first
going to the bulletin board to view a listing of
messages. There are thousands upon thousands of
listservs on topics of mutual interest from sewing
to microbiology. It is common for college courses
to have a listserv so that instructors and students
can all communicate easily with group messages. Over
70,000 interest groups (at this writing) are linked
at http://www.liszt.com/. Comparisons with bulletin
boards, email groups, chat rooms, etc. are made in
the e-mail definition of this glossary. See e-mail,
Chat Lines, IRC, USENet, teleconferencing,
videoconferencing, webcasting, and telephony.

Chris Nolan at Trinity University wrote the following in an email message
on October 7, 1998:

I was told by my book editor today that L-Soft, the
owner of the Listserv software, sent a letter to the
American Library Association about the use of the
term "listserv" in some recent ALA publications. L-Soft
claims that the term is trade marked and therefore cannot
be used as a generic term for these sorts of bulletin
board/mailing list systems, much like Xerox not being
used as a generic for photocopying. Although I had only
used the term once in my manuscript, ALA?s editors felt
that I should either capitalize the term to refer to the
L-Soft software or use other terms to describe the more
general concept.

Checking L-Soft International?s web site, I see that they
clearly state that LISTSERV is a trademark of their company.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=