Recommended software for breaking in...

Subject: Recommended software for breaking in...
From: Kchu <kchu1 -at- ROCKETMAIL -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 1999 12:00:07 -0700

<Tom Johnson>
>I could be wrong here. If I am, I hope someone will enlighten me. I was
>using Word on a Mac before I ever heard of Windows. I don't know if Word
for
>DOS preceded the Mac version, but I do believe Word was "redesigned" to
work
>with Windows.
Actually Apple asked for Microsoft to develop some programs when they
didn't
have enough people to complete the hardware and software requirements.
Apple
was primarily a hardware mfg. and microsoft software based. So Apple
through
Claris developed MacWrite and had Microsoft round the software with Excel
and
possibily Powerpoint (??).

MS Word orginally started as an afterthought to fill out the "office
package"
shortly after MacWrite was released. Actually most of the "desktop
publishing"
software is the after affect of the desktop publishing explosion that
occurred
after Adobe's Pagemaker started on the Mac.

>In my opinion, Word has gotten harder to use instead of easier. It isn't
>necessarily because it was ported to Windows, but rather feature glut.
After being on MS Word and MacWrite since the beginning, I *definitely*
feel and see the bloatware affect and effect on any documentation
development.

>All the autocorrecting stuff drives me bonkers. I like to write and not be
>second-guessed by a paperclip that doesn't recognize unusual names or
words.
It's time for you to reset some of those options. Try these menu options:
Tools ->Options ->Spelling & Grammar and don't forget the Edit button.

>I'd use Notepad but sometimes the files are too big.
Try WordPad or any of the third party applications, they will suffice.

>As far as the original question, Word is a good program to know. Lots of
>people use it and it can get the job done. Just remember to turn off the
>annoying features you don't need.
I think the best aspect is the learning curve is not as steep in the other
"desktop publishing" applications. Then again, Word isn't exactly a true
"desktop publishing" application either.

>2. Pagemaker, Quark, or Framemaker
<Tom Johnson>
>I get the feeling here you are dismissing PageMaker, Quark and FrameMaker
>because you've worked with people who have never had a need to use them.
The previous writer, echos a common theme. Many people don't like the
3 sisters due to the learning curve and time required to get "familar" with
the logic and setup of the program(s).

>Someone who is unfamiliar with Frame can really mess things up,...
It's all too easy, especially since MS has nearly everyone thinking the
same "MS logic" and thinking everything else is either odd and/or harder.
I guess market domination will have that effect on users sometimes.

>It all comes down to tool selection and knowing as many tools as makes
sense
>for you. ...Sometimes I'll be working on a project that has particular
demands
>and I might try three or four programs....it is amazing how much easier it
can >be in one program versus another.
Try to remember every program has its niche. Some do many things well, Word
and other specialize. Framemaker is primarily for long documents, while
Pagemaker is for short newsletters and more graphic oriented. After working
in MS Word for ~15yrs, Pagemaker for ~14yrs., and Framemaker for ~8yrs.
sooner
or later there's always one project that will exceed your favorite program
abilites or require another and then you'll be glad you know other
programs.

kc

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=