Re: Can someone learn to be detail-oriented?

Subject: Re: Can someone learn to be detail-oriented?
From: William G Meisheid <wgm -at- SAGELINE -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 07:40:04 -0400

While very few things are true in the absolute, I have observed that people
are on a continuum between high level, big picture on one end (sometimes
labeled scatter brain dreamers) and scrutinizers of every detail on the
other (sometimes labeled anal retentive). I fall towards the high level, my
assistant is exceptionally detail oriented. We balance and she keeps me
straight and I keep her from getting bogged down over the fact that the
paper clips have been moved to a different shelf.

If you are a single wheel, with only oversight, then you probably need to be
somewhere on the continuum that allows for at least some attention to
detail. It helps get the job done right.

Do I think attention to detail can be taught? No. I think the innate natural
concern for details is genetic. That said, I believe there are tools that
help those lacking a high percentage of that innate concern to cope. What I
have found out is that if those tools (check lists, reporting requirements,
standardized procedures, templates, style guides, etc.) are not set up by a
detail oriented person, they tend not to get set up, even by the best
motivated high level thinker. I also think managing without those tools in
place is a nightmare.

My evolving approach is to build a structure that those who work for us
whose innate natural concern for detail is limited find they are support by
the tools and the oversight to keep them on track and productive. The
eternal question revolves around what is enough and what is too little.
ISO9000 companies don't count.

Yes, I know it is a holy grail, but then life and work are both quests in my
world view.

William Meisheid "Thoughts still and always in progress"
WUGNET/Help Authoring Forum Sysop & Microsoft MVP
Certified Baltimore/Washington area RoboHELP Training
Sageline Publishing 410.465.2040 Fax: 410.465.1812
http://www.sageline.com email: wgm -at- sageline -dot- com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=