The DocVariable field in Word

Subject: The DocVariable field in Word
From: DHICKEY -at- ALIS -dot- COM
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 14:53:14 -0400

Greetings!

In Word, you're supposed to be able to create document variables that you
define in the Properties dialog box (File menu > Properties > Custom tab).
Once you define these variables, you should be able to reference them in
your document by inserting them with their variable reference

For example, the (DOCVARIABLE "Satan" /* MERGEFORMAT ) field might produce
Bill Gates if you define it as such in your Document's properties. If you
needed to change the "Satan" reference (due to a celestial re-org), you
could redefine the document property and every instance of the "Satan"
variable would change to "Lucien Bouchard".

However, when I try inserting this field in a Word document, nothing
appears! I can see the field (by selecting Toggle field codes), but the text
that's supposed to appear doesn't. Am I missing something?

Since this has more to do with a tool than writing, respond off-list and
I'll post any solutions I find.
--
Be seeing you,

Dave
John David Hickey
Montreal, Quebec, Canada eh?

dhickey -at- alis -dot- com
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Hills/7829/
wk: 514-747-2542 ext.: 317
pg: 514-205-9209

They say that the pen is mightier than the sword.
But if you miss a deadline, you'd better bring the sword.
Don't confuse my opinion with my employer's.
Each exists in blissful ignorance of the other.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=