Re: Best 1 source graphic format print/online

Subject: Re: Best 1 source graphic format print/online
From: "Brierley, Sean" <Brierley -at- QUODATA -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 1999 14:12:41 -0400

Hallo:

EPS and CAD formats are vector. They are infinitely sizeable and print
excellently because they are formula-based. Vector formats have a bitmap
header because monitors display only bitmaps. Vector graphics do not display
on monitors. These bitmap headers usually are pretty rough.

For viewing on screen, select a bitmap format, such as JPEG, GIF, BMP, TIFF,
PNG . . .. These formats are not easily scalable because they are pixel
based and tend to produce jaggies or blurry aliasing when re-sized.

There are some slick graphics formats for the web, such as Macromedia Flash,
and Adobe plans PGML as a vector-based web graphic format. However, web
vectors and the like are not here yet . . . Flash is but requires a plug-in.
Anyway for the web the GIF and JPEG bitmap formats are standard.

So, what to do?

For print, stay with EPS and other vector formats. These are designed for
printed output. For the web and online, create graphics in GIF or JPEG
format. Sure, you will have some duplication. Can your CAD software render
its designs out as BMP, or some other bitmap format? Anyway, print and
online are fundamentally different and to do both from one doc you are going
to have to compromise the strengths of each format. Such a compromise might
involve the decision to stop using vectors all together or to create two
sets of images.

Good luck.

Sean
sean -at- quodata -dot- com

P.S. The Windows-based WMF format is a vector with a pretty decent bitmap
header. WMF converts well between vector and bitmap formats.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=