Re: Search tool (for intranet)?

Subject: Re: Search tool (for intranet)?
From: "David M. Brown" <dmbrown -at- BROWN-INC -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 1999 08:15:31 -0700

Geoff Hart wrote:

> For the table of contents, you could create an HTML page
> that includes pointers to each file on the LAN (if everyone's
> equipped with a Web browser)... Second, you could
> build an actual index document, with synonyms and cross-
> references, but instead of including page numbers, include
> the document name. That also facilitates maintenance, since if
> you move or delete a file, you search for all instances of the
> name in your index and make the appropriate corrections. In
> both cases, it should be relatively simple to get the browser or
> document to launch that file with a single mouse-click; if not,
> it's still easy for users to find the appropriate file, albeit less
> convenient.

Using HTML Indexer's "external URL" feature, you can build an index of
non-HTML documents. The set-up time is a little greater than with HTML
files, because you have to build up the list of files by hand.

But, once that's done, you can use HTML Indexer to create as many index
entries for each file as you want, manipulate those entries using all the
standard tools in HTML Indexer, and format the resulting index nearly any
way you want.

As Geoff pointed out, the links in the finished index would simply trigger
your browser to do whatever you've set it up to do with .doc, .xls, .zip,
and other file types: typically open them or save them to disk.

Let me know if you're interested in details.

--David

David M. Brown - Brown Inc.
dmbrown -at- brown-inc -dot- com

A V A I L A B L E N O W ! http://www.html-indexer.com/

HTML Indexer 3.1, still the easiest way to create and maintain
back-of-the-book indexes for web sites and other HTML documents.

Now including options for HTML Help and JavaHelp indexes, too!

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=