Sydney: tech communicators' wayzgoose Wednesday

Subject: Sydney: tech communicators' wayzgoose Wednesday
From: wongword -at- OZEMAIL -dot- COM -dot- AU
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 1999 10:50:54 +1100

Ever been to a wayzgoose?

Join us on Wednesday 25 August for the Australian Society for Technical
Communication (NSW) members' meeting and our first waygoose for
technical communicators.

Allan Charlton will be discussing Graphics Applications.

Have you noticed how most graphics applications offer a bewildering
array of options for graphic formats?

When should I use a JPG rather than a BMP?

Why would a GIF be better than a TIF?

Why won?t my graphics application recognise your WMF?

Why do some formats get mangled in post script?

Allan Charlton has the answers to these and many more questions. So
bring your graphics queries along to our members? meeting and share some
of the knowledge Alan, an old friend of the ASTC, has gained over the
years.

Wayzgoose was originally an entertainment given by master-printers to
their workmen about the time of Bartholmew tide (24 August). It marked
the beginning of the season of working by candle light. Later this
became an annual festivity held in summer by the employees of a printing
establishment and consisted of a dinner and usually an excursion into
the country, with open air amusements, speeches and toasts.

?Carriages were chartered, an enormous quantity of eatables and
drinkables provided, and away we went, a regular wayzgoose or bean-feast
party.?
F T Bullen in Cruise of Cachalot. (source:
OED)

When and where: 6 for 6.30pm,
ABC Building, Harris St, Ultimo, (short walk from Broadway)

$15 members who book,
$20 members who don?t book and non-members.
Eatables and drinkables provided.

RSVP phone Janet Taylor on 02 9928 1188

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=