Re: Frame to PDF (And Other Questions)

Subject: Re: Frame to PDF (And Other Questions)
From: Dina Davidson <DinaD -at- XANTREX -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 10:09:51 -0700

You wrote:

> 1. I'm attempting to convert a few Frame 5.5.6 docs to PDF.
> It appears
> that Frame doesn't provide this function itself, but rather uses other
> programs (such as Adobe Exchange or Distiller) for the job. Is this
> correct, and if so, is there a solution, other than
> purchasing additional
> Adobe products?
Frame comes bundled with the full Acrobat suite.

> 2. I have several docs in Pagemaker 4.0 format. Will
> Pagemaker 6.5 convert
> these to PDF, or will I encounter the same problem as with Frame?
PageMaker 6.5 comes bundled with Acrobat Distiller.

> 3. Does anyone know of a practical technique for
> transferring files between
> Pagemaker and Frame, other than cut and paste? So far, I've
> been unable to
> establish any real compatibility between these two file formats.
PageMaker was originated by Aldus and FrameMaker by Frame Technologies...
one on Macintosh and one on Unix. They have no common ground, other than
that they were later bought by Adobe.
The best way to get a doc from PM into FM is (a) build a template in Frame
based on the Master Page info in the PM doc, (b) File>Export the text from
PM to RTF, and (c) import the RFT into your newly created FM doc.

> 4.

Can't answer # 4, but HTH

Dina Davidson
Technical Publications Coordinator/Technical Communicator
Xantrex Technology Inc.
mailto:dinad -at- xantrex -dot- com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=