Frame & WWP vs. Word & RoboHelp

Subject: Frame & WWP vs. Word & RoboHelp
From: Sylvie Boisvert <sylvieb -at- HEXAVISION -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 08:26:25 -0400

Hi Linda,

I would not trade our WWP/FrameMaker combo for Word/Robohelp. Frame is far
superior to word for creating, maintaining and updating technical manuals.

A few glimpses into our experience:

* We create all our technical documentation using Frame, though
Marketing mostly uses Word for correspondence, mail merges, etc..

* We just launched our software package that includes a printed and
online version of our documentation set. Frame <cross reference> and
<conditional text> features allow us to create a great single source
documentation set!

* We created a great HTML Help that includes both our User Guide and
Reference Manual. The user can print out his own additional copies of the
documentation. When we send an upgrade of our product, it will include the
new documentation set in the HTML Help. However the client will be able to
purchase updated printed manuals if he/she wishes.

* Of course we're lucky to have resources on hand that quickly took to
using the WWP software. The most important step is to create a template that
contains all the necessary tags, including tag formats that, using the
Conditional Text feature, show up either in the print or HTML version.

* Moreover all application notes, technical notes etc that we will put
on our web page will be converted to HTML, from Frame, in the same way.
Moreover, Frame can be used to create pdf booklets, quick guide, reference
cards (all subsets, or abridged subsets, of our documentation) that really
look like the printed version.

* Much of the software we have here, including the competitors', comes
with only online versions of the manuals. But guess what? people still love
paper and we're getting raves on our printed documentation set.

Hope your boss comes around. I know Robohelp has great marketing power and
presence, much more so than WWP, but if most of your important technical
documentation is in Frame, you will probably lose a lot of time bringing
everything around to Word/Robohelp.

Good Luck
Sylvie Boisvert
HEXAVISION TECHNOLOGIES