Re: prima donna wannabe

Subject: Re: prima donna wannabe
From: Nancy Smith <smithcds -at- ICI -dot- NET>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 13:33:40 -0400

Don't you know that nobody pays any attention to a
TW's nit for detail except other TWs?? Coming out of
a style meeting one time, I said, "Can you believe
we spent that much time on that particular detail?"

"Well," said the other writer, "that's the only
thing we have any power over around here!"

While not always the case (fortunately), it was the
case at that company at that time.

Also, regarding:
> I'm
> interested in Tech. communication because I
thought that it
> would be a great way to write and be creative at
the same time.

I think tech writing is very analytical and seldom
creative -- so be prepared! I definitely have to
switch sides of my brain when I go from tech writing
to writing poetry!

Nancy

Communication issues
Chris Fitzgerald
> Sent: Tuesday, August 24, 1999 12:45 PM
> To: TECHWR-L -at- listserv -dot- okstate -dot- edu
> Subject: prima donna wannabe
>

> Ok, I'm probably going to sound pathetic, but
maybe Andrew, who
> owns his own company should hire new TW that have
a little bit
> of his humour. So far, I've seen the category of
writer he
> mentions in only the first month of being on the
list. I've
> been told "off list" that I should "check the
archives" or this
> subject has been "dtd - done to death" as one
person wrote to
> me. Sheesh is right! Can't all of these subjects
be checked in
> the archives? Just look under "Word". HA! Have
you all
> forgotten where you came from. Is your mom around
to watch you?
> It's scaring me to death, and discouraging. Is
it really a
> dog-eat-dog world out there, outside of the
classroom? I'm
> interested in Tech. communication because I
thought that it
> would be a great way to write and be creative at
the same time.
> I want to work for a company that has humor and
understanding
> and pays an amount that I could live on ($30K or
more). As a
> teacher, I've lived on a lot less, but was never
"poor". My
> professors lied, they said that you could ask for
what you
> wanted. I didn't once when I was interviewing,
and the
> recruiter said that if I had, she would have hired
me (Texas
> Monthly magazine, right out of college - RIGHT!)
Now as an
> English teacher, I don't lie. I say "never stop
learning" and
> "don't get discrouraged if you make a mistake".
Now that I'm
> having to take my own advice, I can see how some
of you should
> get a little humility and some should hire the the
grateful

> If it's not about technical communication,
don't post it!
http://www.raycomm.com/techwhirl/archives.htm
http://www.raycomm.com/techwhirl/books.htm
> Send all list-related questions or problems to

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=