CONCLUSION: Framemaker bullet mayhem!

Subject: CONCLUSION: Framemaker bullet mayhem!
From: Darren Barefoot <dbarefoot -at- MPSBC -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 09:21:34 -0700

Hi,

Thanks to everybody for their advice on my mysterious Framemaker bullet
issue. If you need to refresh your memory, the original text appears at the
bottom of this message.

The solutions were varied, and the included:

* Create and assign a character format to the bullet (as in a tag called
"BulletWingdings" or something)
* Recreate both the paragraph and character style
* Check the Character Format field in the Paragraph Designer dialog box
(give me a little credit-hee, hee)
* Import a paragraph and/or a character format from a "good" document to the
"bad" ones

The last solution worked, though I needed to only import the paragraph
format and not a character format. Thanks again from the Frame neophyte. DB.

Original text:

I've got two files (amongst many others) in a book. They both use the same
master pages, styles, etc. For one particular heading (called "Step Title"),
I'm using the Numbering feature to insert a bullet before the term. I'm
using the "\t" tag, preceded by a bracket (so, "}\t"). I've selected
Wingdings 3 as my font, to insert a arrow-shaped bullet. This works
correctly in one document, yet in the other it displays as a bracket. Thus,
it does not apply the symbol from the Wingdings font.

So, in the first document, it displays correctly like this (where *
represents the Wingding arrow):

* Attaching the Snoffhoggler

Whereas, in another document, with exactly (I've checked thoroughly) the
same properties in the Paragraph designer, I get:

} Attaching the Snoffhoggler

What's strange is I've compared the two documents, and all of the settings
are the same on the Paragraph designer window. It simply works in one
document and doesn't in another. Very frustrating. Any thoughts or advice
would be appreciated. Thanks. DB.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=