Re: Suggestions for user manual with alternate versions

Subject: Re: Suggestions for user manual with alternate versions
From: Elna Tymes <etymes -at- LTS -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 18:15:50 -0700

Terry Barron wrote:

> Is there a graceful way to document different versions of software in the
> same user manual?
>
> The software documentation I work on turned a corner in a recent
> release. In essence, there are now two versions of the software
> available in this one release. The system administrator chooses which
> version gets implemented by setting system parameters.

You know, of course, about the Conditional Text feature in Frame? You can
create tags in Frame and create what amounts to multiple documents within
the
same file, and simply create what you want by selecting one of the
conditions.
For instance, if you were doing a manual for Product A and for Product B,
and
they had a lot of overlap, by setting a conditional tag for those things
specific to Product A and another conditional tag for those things specific
Product B, you could print both a Product A'd manual and a Product B'd
manual
from the same file.

>From your description, you're trying to describe both products in the same
manual, rather than produce two different versions from the same file.
There
may be really good reasons for doing that, but it seems more sensible to
work
with the conditional tags.

Elna Tymes
Los Trancos Systems