use vs. utilize

Subject: use vs. utilize
From: kenfry <kenfry -at- QUICK -dot- NET>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 09:48:07 -0700

Gentle Writers:

(Soapbox, please)

I shall refrain from using all those wonderful perjorative terms of which I am so fond. We know what "use" means, just as we know what "is" is. Utilize means: to employ in a new and creative way. For example, "He utilized his chewing gum with a stick to retreive the lost key." It is seldom appropriate in the description of ordinary situations.

I think inexperienced writers use trendy words (utilize, finalize and such) because they don't trust the effectiveness of basic language. As technical writers out charge is to convey meaning. I believe simple sentences with well understood words is the basis of such understanding.
Why use "orientate" when "orient" means the same? Must we "finalize" when "finish" or "complete" makes the meaning clear?

I vote for plain writing.

Ken