Russian to English translation

Subject: Russian to English translation
From: "F. Marc de Piolenc" <piolenc -at- reporters -dot- net>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 1999 20:52:47 +0800

Subject: OT: Russian to English translation
From: "Tom Johnson" <johnsont -at- starcutter -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 15:38:09 -0400

Does anyone know of a software program that will translate from Russian
English? I checked the Babel Fish site and they do not have that
combination. It can be web based or PC based, hopefully not too
expensive.

Tom Johnson
Technical Writer
Elk Rapids Engineering - Elk Rapids, Michigan

Dear Tom,

There is no such thing as translation software. Yes, I know that many
programs are advertised as such, but none that I have tested or seen
tested can actually do the job. Americans are easily sold such programs
because most of us haven't learned a foreign language and thus don't
understand how unamenable translation is to mechanical solutions. My
recommendation is to abandon your wild-goose chase for a software
solution, and look for a professional translator. For Russian to English
translation you need someone who is a native speaker of English, but
with a good knowledge of the Russian language AND OF THE SUBJECT MATTER
TO BE TRANSLATED.

Marc de Piolenc
Professional Translator (but unfortunately not sufficiently skilled in
Russian to help you)