Giving credit where credit is due?

Subject: Giving credit where credit is due?
From: "Geoff Hart" <Geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca>
To: TECHWR-L -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 1999 08:14:00 -0400

Meg Halter plans <<...to turn this summary of suggestions
offered by members of Techwr-l into an article in the
newsletter. In the article, should I name all the contributors? It
seems the right thing to do, but I'm not too clear on privacy
issues in print versus on this list server.>>

I use a fairly simple triage system for deciding how to
acknowledge people in newsletter articles that I write:
- If I quote someone directly, I confirm the quote (in context)
with the person, and include their name.
- If someone provides key information that either fills in a gap
with info. I hadn't thought of myself, or corrects one of my
misperceptions, I acknowledge the person by name. Ditto if
the person provides info. on several points.
- If the person merely reinforces something I was already
going to say, I acknowledge them with a generic "thanks" or
"this is based on a discussion on techwr-l".

That doesn't cover every possible situation, but I haven't yet
come across a situation that didn't fit logically into one of the
three categories.

--Geoff Hart @8^{)} Pointe-Claire, Quebec
geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca

"Perhaps there is something deep and profound behind all those sevens, something just calling out for us to discover it. But I
suspect that it is only a pernicious, Pythagorean coincidence." George Miller, "The Magical Number Seven" (1956)