Writing an Add-In Application's User's Guide...

Subject: Writing an Add-In Application's User's Guide...
From: "Gemmell,Dal" <Dal_Gemmell -at- email -dot- syscom -dot- com -dot- tw>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 1999 16:09:00 +0800

I have a problem that I am hoping some of you seasoned veterans can help me
with.

I am writing a user's guide for an add-in application. Although both the
add-in application and the larger application are currently being developed
by my company, the larger application's user's guide is being written by
another company. I have the rough outline for the larger application's
user's guide, but I cannot wait for them to finish writing their manual
before starting mine. The add-in application is actually quite a large
application in its own right and duplicates a lot of the larger
application's menus, toolbars, dialog boxes, interface, etc.

My original idea for writing this user's guide was focusing on the add-in
application's extensions and referring users to the other manual to perform
the majority of the functions. For example, "Creating a Project" is
something you can do using both applications. However, this will result in
far too many references to the other manual. Has anyone written this type of
manual before?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dal
dal_gemmell -at- email -dot- syscom -dot- com -dot- tw