ADMIN: Filtering, does it work, etc.

Subject: ADMIN: Filtering, does it work, etc.
From: "Eric J. Ray" <ejray -at- raycomm -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 1999 14:09:28 -0600

Gang,

For those of you using Outlook, I changed the TECHWR-L TO:
line so Outlook (brain-dead as it may be) can filter the
messages to a folder. For anyone who wants to filter
filter on the TO: line, which contains:

As an attempt to curtail the flow of "is the list
working" messages, I've set up a new test address.
If you want to know if you can get mail to the
server AND if mail from the server gets to you,
just send a message to
You'll get an auto-response quickly, which will let
you know both that your mail leaves your system and
that you get stuff back from the server.
It also contains a trouble-shooting process to figure
out what's wrong, if something isn't going as it
should. (Yes, that means to try it, then file the
message somewhere safe.)
With that, _DO NOT_ post admin or "is the list
working" messages to the list. You have a tool to check
your mail connections and reception, and you have
my address. That should cover it.

Finally, we're still working on mail delivery speed. It's
a delicate balancing act to get maximum performance out
of the server, without overloading or underloading it.
FYI, in the last 24 hours, lists.raycomm.com sent
approximately 380 megabytes of mail messages (99% of
which were associated with this list), and is currently
sending about 6500 messages each hour.

Eric
ejray -at- raycomm -dot- com
TEHCWR-L Listowner

Eric J. Ray ejray -at- raycomm -dot- com
UNIX Visual QuickStart Guide is "a superb book!"
Don't believe it? Check for yourself!
Find out more at http://www.raycomm.com/