RE: Platform-independed authoring tool

Subject: RE: Platform-independed authoring tool
From: "Brathwaite, Chantel" <cbrathwaite -at- python -dot- ideas -dot- com>
To: "'MDowling -at- WALLDATA -dot- com'" <MDowling -at- WALLDATA -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 1999 14:08:03 -0400

Sorry MDowling if you get this twice -- it bounced back so I'm trying to
resend it.

I'm not sure if this answers your question but ...if you are asking about a
desktop publishing package that can be used to create hardcopy documentation
that runs on both Unix and Windows platforms -- I'd say Adobe's FrameMaker
is a very attractive option. You can find out more about it at Adobe's web
site at www.adobe.com. I really like it a lot; I've been using Frame and
Word for a number of years now. My bias is towards Frame -- it is much more
stable and robust than Word -- and porting a document across the two
platforms is relatively simple. I also like opening my document a few weeks
later and finding that it is still in the same condition as it was when I
last touched it ; )

I know that Frame works well with a number of online help creation systems
and can also be used to create HTML-based help. I can't be of much help to
you about this -- but some others on the list might be able to shed more
light on the Frame and Online Help.

Chantel Brathwaite
SAIC