OT? NT4 op sys - Any Probs

Subject: OT? NT4 op sys - Any Probs
From: Jacque Foreman <foremangraphics -at- juno -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 1999 20:37:50 -0700

Hi gang - It's I again with another question about an operating system.

To reiterate: after upgrading from Win95 to Win98-2, I have gone through
a series of many incompatabilities. I even went so far as tto purchase a
new hard disk so 98-2 could be loaded clean. I tried to go back to the
original version of 98 to see if the problems were associated only with
-2, but the CD refuses to overwrite existing files. I am seriously
considering either going back to Win95 or going to NT4 - I believe that
both require about the same process for installation. I understand that
NT4 is more stable.

Problems encountered: A curser that was either invisible (Oh this is a
lot of fun) or a black bar that was about six points wide by two picas
long that did not change to any appropriate configuration within the
application. Currently it is still not working correctly as there is a
one-point, 2-pica long line to the left of the curser, but it does change
shape, and it is possible to tell reasonably precisely where it is. There
have been times when one or both printers has (have) not worked. Getting
it to recognize my modum was another major challenge. The most serious
problem I am presently experiencing is that the Adobe Type Manager does
not work, so I cannot use any Type1 fonts. I have also been using
Fontminder. It also does not recognize Type1 fonts. All in all, upgrading
to win98 has been a rather aggrivating, 2-week period.

What I need to know is any of you is running (or quit running because of
system problems) NT4. What are the major disadvantages you have found
using NT as your op sys?

You need to know that, whatever op sys I use it must be compatible with
PageMaker 6 & 6.5+, Quark 3.32 (Quark 4 if I get around to upgrading),
PhotoShop 5 (&5.5), Illustrator7 (&8), Olympus 200 (old digital camera)
software, Designer 3 (&4), Corel4.

Just so you know, I have searched the Adobe and Microsoft pages for
answers. There appear to be no answers - in fact they don't even
acknowledge the questions. I will be continuing my conversation with
Adobe tech services, but it seems they have no solutions.

TIA -

Jacque - Graphic Designer / Typesetter - Excellence by Design
since 1972 - Pen & Ink Renderings of homes & Bldgs. & portraits from
photos, Brochures, Ads, Flyers, Packaging, Business Forms, Manuscripts,
etc. - Amway Dealer - email: foremangraphics -at- juno -dot- com
Rendering Samples: http://www.abacus-es.com/foreman