RE: Frame to WWPublisher Project Times

Subject: RE: Frame to WWPublisher Project Times
From: Bill Burns <BillDB -at- ILE -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1999 09:21:14 -0600

Melanie writes:

> Does anyone have any experience with estimating this type of project? I
> couldn't find anything on the archives specifically relating to this. I
> don't have to be that specific, I just want to know approximately how much
> time WWPublisher would save over using FM's convert to HTML and doing the
> manual fixes.

I'm using WWP for a number of projects now. Two are conversions to various
HTML formats, and one is a WinHelp project. I can't speak highly enough of
this tool.

Setting up the conversion template takes a bit of time, and you may increase
that time depending on the level of customization you want. I have a project
3 times the size of the one you describe with a lot of EPS graphics.
Generating the HTML and graphics from it takes about 15 minutes. Keep in
mind that I'm using a system with a Cyrix 233 and 80 MB of RAM--not speedy
by any means when both Frame and WWP are running. The more high-res graphics
you have, the longer the process takes.

Frame's HTML filtering is pretty weak. We've used it on a couple of projects
and have had extensive cleanup afterwards (due, I admit, to poor prior
planning). I'm using Frame and WWP to produce three different formats for
one project--a PDF for print use, an online manual, and embedded,
context-sensitive help--this all from the same set of source files. In
addition, I find WWP's HTML-based help solution superior to the
cross-browser solutions I've seen come out of Blue Sky (WebHelp from
RoboHelp) or ForeFront (InterHelp).

If you have to localize your product and deliver multiple output formats for
each langugae, WWP International Edition is the way to go.

Bill Burns - Eccentric Technology Consultant
International Communications Design & Development
billdb -at- ile -dot- com
Y2K Complacent